Tuesday, June 7, 2011

While Caleb writes ...

It's hot!   It is 95 degrees outside.   I'm not sure what the heat index is and I'm kind of scared to check.  Technically it's still spring out there so this is a little too early for it to be so hot.   I was really looking forward to being outside with the boys and this extreme heat is making it a little less pleasant, but we are still doing our best.   

Today was Caleb's 2nd day of his tennis camp at the high school.   I'm not sure that he's learning anything but he says that he is having fun.   Although by the time they were finishing today the kids kind of all looked like they were melting.   Foster and I use Caleb's time playing tennis to go for a walk.   This has two purposes --- first, it's a good opportunity for me to get some exercise and continue our routine of walking each morning (we used to walk Caleb to and from school every day) and second, it keeps Foster entertained.    I also get to explore the neighborhoods around the school where Caleb is playing.   Yesterday we walked east and today we walked north.

After tennis we ventured over to Krape Park where the MOPS were going to have a play date.   I wasn't sure if there would be any older kids there for Caleb to play with (or anyone there at all, actually) but he's really good with younger kids so we figured we'd give it a shot.    While we were there I got to see again what a good big brother Caleb is.   He didn't whine about playing in the little kids playground and he pushed Foster on the swings and did the teeter totter with him too.   Unfortunately my hope of finding a mom there with older kids (Caleb's age) with a preschooler didn't materialize.

When we came home I got lunch started and then Caleb watched Foster so I could take a shower.    I think that I could really get used to having Caleb at home!   A shower with no one whining or banging on the door on a weekday.  This must be what heaven is like :)

Our "school" plans were altered a bit today because Foster didn't take a nap until Caleb went with his friends to the movie at the library.   It did give me peace and quiet for a whole hour though.   If this trend keeps up I could definitely get used to summer.   However, I am a little nervous that just writing about it might ruin the whole thing so maybe I should delete this paragraph!    

So now Caleb is writing and it's almost 5 pm.   I told him we would do "school" stuff until Mark gets home and then we are headed to swim.   Once we got home from the movie he took 30 minutes to play outside some more with his friends from across the street and I'm a pretty firm believer that I'm not going to call him inside in June to do reading and writing (I will make him shut off the TV, compute, DS, and Wii for it though!)

But our abbreviated day means I don't have any cool projects to report on.    Tomorrow we'll hopefully build our bubble machine and start on our weather tracking sheet.    These days are going fast!   I hope I can still be enthusiastic at the end of July.

1 comment: